Nobody likes random hodge-podge sprawl
— the unintended consequence of inventing the automobile.
Vision Planning is the key to mitigating
the Law of Unintended Consequences.
|1|| Peanuts and Place: Einstein & Mark Twain
• to mitigate the Law of Unintended Consequences: Vision Planning is required.
|2|| Jay Hellman initiates Vision Planning for La Plata, June 1998
• the Route 301 transportation crisis is more than just a road issue.
|3|| ULI Urban Land Institute: Telecommunities. N.J. Slabbert, May 2005
• Vision Planning, properly done, integrates land-use, transportation and technology change
|4|| Harvard International Review: The Future of Urbanization. N.J. Slabbert, June 2006.
• In the age of Virtual Adjacency, the experience of place is the top priority.
Charles County’s insightful Comp Plan in 1989 innovated “Development Districts (DD.)”
• 5a Charles County Comprehensive Plan Land-Use-Sep-1989
• 5b Charles County Transportation Plan 1989
|6|| Vision Plan Greater La Plata 50-Year Conceptual Land-Use & Transportation Plan Mar 2000
• Eastern Bypass solves regional transportation problem; creates a Main Street
Without a Town Square,
• America’s Most Beautiful Town Squares
• America’s Greatest Main Streets
|8||•Virtual Adjacency Brussels, Belgium 10:95 lecture abstract
— Virtual Adjacency enables us to balance living & working;
and it makes the experience of place even more important.
|10||JJH Comments to improve the Charles County Comprehensive Plan 2012.
• An open letter from Jay Hellman to the Charles County Planning Commission and Commissioners, 6 January 2012.
|11|| 11a) THE HUB at CSM/La Plata is Smart Growth at its best: environmentally sensitive INFILL development.
• It CONNECTS important places multi-modally — walk / bike / car / circulator bus.
11a-2) Population Distribution in Southern MD and location of CSM campuses
11a-2 3D) 3D So MD pop’n and CSM campuses 2j
11b) Scholarly support for THE HUB at CSM / La Plata
—> infill development is the key to Smart Growth: mix uses, pedestrian and bike friendly
|12||• PlanMaryland La Plata map is wrong (notes by jjh May’11)
–> connecting the College CSM and La Plata in a mixed-use, pedestrian and bike friendly fashion is top priority.
|13||• PlanMaryland Progress Report, July 2011
• PlanMaryland Draft Executive Summary, April 2011